Healthy City Week 2017: Exploring solutions to Bristol’s health and sustainability challenges
11th September 2017
Healthy City Week returns from 7 to 14 October with a unique series of events exploring the health and sustainability of our city. The exciting programme is set to create and deepen conversations around some of the major health and sustainability challenges we face. From the health impacts of air pollution and the benefits of active travel, to tackling cold homes in Bristol and creating healthier urban spaces.
Now in its third year, Healthy City Week enables individuals and organisations from across Bristol to come together, exchange ideas and explore the intersections between health and the environmental sustainability of our city.
Healthy City Week is organised by Bristol Green Capital Partnership, with contributors coming from across its membership, and is supported by Bristol Health Partners, which brings together the city’s major health institutions.
- A health-themed Green Mingle – 5 October: An informal networking event co-hosted with Bristol Health Partners at The Station, Silver Street. All are welcome and no booking required.
- Fun Palaces in Lawrence Hill and Avonmouth – 7 and 8 October: A weekend of collaborative community-led events around air pollution, healthy eating, mental health and wellbeing, smoking and active travel.
- A neighbourhood conversation on air quality – 11 October: A community conversation around air quality in Easton and Lawrence Hill with Up Our Street
The week at a glance!
On Saturday 7 October, Healthy City Week kicks off with ‘Fun Palaces’ in Lawrence Hill’s Wellspring Healthy Living Centre and Avonmouth Community Centre. These community-led events will aim to catalyse conversations around air pollution, healthy eating, mental health and wellbeing, smoking and active travel. Free activities will explore our personal and environmental health through art, science, skills and stories – including YoBike graffiti workshops, food swaps, exhibitions and immersive walks.
These themes and more will be picked up in events and discussions throughout Healthy City Week. The varied programme includes:
- a community conversation in Easton and Lawrence Hill
- air quality citizen sensing activities
- a public lecture focusing on the health impacts of air quality
- a workshop on embedding nature in healthcare
- the launch of the new WHAM project (Warmer Homes, Advice and Money)
- a smart energy showcase
A series of events from Bristol Health Partners Health Integration Teams (HITs) will share insights into research on sustaining wellbeing into old age, the health implications of pavement parking in Bristol and the impact of urban design on health. Bristol Green Capital Partnership will create further opportunities for collaboration and connection in the week, with open discussion and networking events.
As always, Healthy City Week is a fantastic opportunity to learn something new! An expo in the Heart Institute atrium in the BRI will showcase sustainable approaches to healthcare. A wellbeing day at the recently renovated New Rooms in the heart of Broadmead will offer free taster sessions and workshops. Go Green will explore the science of wellbeing in the workplace, with bike rides, a wellbeing breakfast and community farmer day also featuring in the programme.
Bristol libraries will be host to a range of events, including:
- a talk from Miguel Barclay on fast and fresh £1 meals
- how cycling can save the world with Bike Nation
- workshops from the innovative ‘Man Food’ project that looks at the relationships between men, protein and the environment
After Healthy City Week, the discussion continues with a short session at the Festival of the Future City. We will highlight some of the seeds of change that will help to build a healthier and more environmentally sustainable city.
How you can get involved...
- Events in the programme offer opportunities to get involved in discussions, debates, networking or cycling! Download the HCW 2017 programme or visit our events calendar for full details and booking links for individual events
- Join the conversation online: @bgreencapital / #HealthyBristol
- The University Hospital Bristol Expo is taking place on Thursday 5th October, and organisations are invited as stall holders, to promote sustainable lifestyle choices, health, happiness and well-being to patients, public, staff and visitors. To apply to host a free stall complete this form